If you are worried out your child’s safety whilst using the Internet or any other networked device, http://parentinfo.org/ has a huge range of information and advice.
Staying Safe on Social Media
The following website gives you information about keeping on a variety of social media apps.
Please find below the letter that has been sent home to parents regarding Instagram.
If you have any concerns about any of the issues raised on this page, please visit www.ceop.police.uk or click the CEOP button anywhere on the website.
Vodafone have produced an excellent guide for parents and carers on ensuring that pupils are safe when using mobile technology and other devices.
The Parents’ and Carers’ Guide to the Internet
‘The Parents’ and Carers’ Guide to the Internet’, has been created by CEOP to provide a light hearted and realistic look at what it takes to be a better online parent. The show covers topics such as, talking to your child about the technologies they use and the things they might see. This online guide aims to equip you with the tools to have those tricky conversations with your children and keep your family safe online.
Here is some advice about staying safe online:
- The Internet is an exciting place with endless opportunities for fun, games and education. It can also be an extremely dangerous place for teenagers unless it is used properly.
- Please take/encourage your children to take the following steps to make sure they are safe online:
- Make sure all laptops and computers are used in a communal area where the screen can be seen by all.
- Ask your child to charge any mobile devices (phones, Ipods, Ipads etc) downstairs and NOT in bedrooms.
Social Networking and On-line Gaming:
- Make sure the privacy settings are set to “friends only” in the “Account settings”
- NEVER include the date of birth, address or school name in the “About me” section
- Children should only add or accept people they know in the real world – NOT friends of friends or people they have met online
- Only post photos that you would be happy to show your gran! Be careful posting photos